eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have returned to find that selling here is rare as hen's teeth.

View theElench's Feedback (+94)
    All-About theElench
    View theElench's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: I have returned to find that selling here is rare as hen's teeth.

Thank you for taking the time to do that, it's good to know that my stuff can be found on other google sites. I've concentrated on Google Shopping because that's where ebid uploads our ads. too. Just attempting to get a clue to how that works is enough for me, so haven't even tried looking at google or its image site. Even at two clicks away to be shown on google (main site) must be a help in the visibility stakes.

As what everything I've written has been about Google Shopping specifically, can I ask you to look at Google Shopping and what you see if you search for "Art Deco Glass" or "Bagley Glass" please ?

If I'm going to summarise the GS thread, I think it has to be very focused. Saying basically what I found when I started looking at it. What I did to get it looking the way I (and you as independent observer) see it now and what I did to make it change.

After many hours of searching, clicking and counting I think that getting the "Ebid" name on the side-bar may not be too difficult, especially in smaller niche searches and something that many ebid sellers can do with a bit of effort. Admittedly I think that it works only for one specific search at a time, perhaps with a few closely related searches as a 'ripple' effect.

But if enough ebid sellers get Ebid - (and their name) on enough searches a lot more buyers searching GS will at least see Ebid on the side-bar. Ticking the box gets them to this site, one particular seller and if what I've seen is generally true, introduces other ebid sellers on their coat-tails.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View pastime's Feedback (+198)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    Your established eBid reference does seem that the steps you have taken does work - the only thing I'm not sure of, and hopefully, older sellers will comment on, is that when I first joined it was said NOT to click on an eBid listing because it would cost eBid money/charge - does anyone know if that is still the case? If so, how does the cost to eBid weigh up against making a sale/getting eBid seen?

After my post on here I checked out just one of your photos on Google image: I choose a not well known AD item, just a small green glass dish. Google brought up your dish as the first item followed by other similar green dishes on the left-hand side. I then clicked on 'the source' button and 2 images came up - both yours with a link to eBid (as did the first photo search).

Assume that Image Search is the reason that Google has changed Shopping to Products as another way of finding items, but the problem is that you have to input the image to find them. That means it can be a good tool for research but it is hard to see how that can help with selling unless images can be easily found. That should mean Pinterest should be a good avenue to being found, but it seem as though Pinterest doesn't always link directly to the listing. I spent some time trying to work out how it works now but it is confusing and unclear.

Got fed-up with spending so much time searching Google/Pinterest and Facebook that I stopped to concentrate on listing more. However, despite now over 500 listing that show, some daily views, sales are not happening. So the best thing seems to be to try and combine both.

I was surprised to see my store name on the side bar - never in a million years would that have happened with the bonz site without paying a 30% fee for GS on top of a listing fee

All-About theElench
    Forum Posts

That's great!

But from what I've found, if you don't keep 'nudging' GS it will forget you and you'll be replaced by someone else who uses GS more often or who gets more views on their ads.

I've kept my name and Ebid on the "Art Deco Glass" search since October '22 by using GS when searching for stuff to buy and viewing a couple of my items twice a week. Regular listing might also help if date/age of listings comes into the GS ad. selection process. I list one new item each Sunday, have been for several years. So have many different dates and listing ages for GS to pick from.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

All-About theElench
    Forum Posts

Good morning Pastime,

I did think about the possible cost to ebid and either on the "GS" thread or another I mentioned this and inviting The Management to comment. They didn't, so I assumed that any cost would be insignificant, perhaps even zero. Any comments by other sellers are welcome.

I know nothing about how GS would charge but have noted what goes-on on obay with their Promoted Listings. It started with "Pay per sale", if the extra visibility resulted in a sale the seller paid the extra fee. As always with obay, they've refined how to fleece the seller and there are now other options like "Pay per click" (whether there's a sale or not) and bidding on Key-Words (no idea how that works).

Surely, knowing more about the true level of sales on ebid, The Management would have chosen an option like "Pay per sale"? And taken any extra cost into account when setting the requirement for an ad. to be uploaded to GS, that it should have a BIN price of £2.50 or more? So that the FVF covers the charge by GS?

I would welcome any comment by Gazza or Support on the potential costs to ebid. I'm trying to raise the site's profile, get more sales and revenue for sellers and the site, not bankrupt it by encouraging thousands of sellers to click on every ebid ad. they can find.

One reason I list one item a week and not batches at less regular intervals is that I think listing does get tiring and tedious. One a week fits my life-style. Find a pattern that suits yours, one a day, five over a week-end, whatever fits into your schedule without getting boring or tedious.

I used to like Pinterest and used it a lot when ID'ing glass, but when it changed and started the "Sign-up, Sign-up - give us your email" and just showed me half a screen of random images, I lost interest. I don't use it at all these days which is sad because some of the pictures were wonderful.

Anyway as you confirmed that what I've been doing has the right result and everyone who duplicates my search will see my name and ebids's on GS, I'll do a summary for the "Ways to promote " board.

If The Management find that it causes their GS fees to increase to un-manageable levels they can always delete the threads.
    Last edited by theElench; 30th May 2024 at 06:59 AM.

Thread Information