Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A Thread for New Businesses

Quote Originally Posted by mfkirke View Post
    I rather agree with you, Fairywishes - I've never had to live on benefits but I am fully aware of the fact that it is really tough.

When i was on dss , through break down of my marraige etc , it was blinkin tough. I didnt smoke or drink or run a car , so we managed okay. But i would not want to go back there if i can help it. Its a trap and hard for a lot of people to get out of.

There is a world of difference between the example i gave and those that have a partner living with them , they are both on social, pretending to be at different addresses , they pay no rent, council tax, both work on the sly and their kids have free school meals. ( I KNOW PEOPLE LIKE THAT TOO ) I would not dream of grassing them as i am many things but NEVER a grass ( unless 100% kids are in danger - then i would ) .

I see those people, off on fancy holidays, living the life of riley running 2 cars and in and out of the pub. Yet, they all get squashed in one box with the MRS. Smiths. etc.

Anyway .... sorry for thread hijack ( back to O.P )
    Last edited by fairywishes; 31st July 2006 at 09:03 AM. Reason: fixed errors.

Forum Diehard
    All-About mfkirke
    View mfkirke's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't think that would be grassing... that is theft from all of us
    Madelaine

I have two ebid stores. This is for Cats Protection;Lots of beanies, fast food toys, random collectables, some new children's clothes - almost anything really.
    this is business and sells skeleton leaves, Thai silk, various vintage postcards, more random collectables
    Both sell discontinued china tableware.

Its GRASSING where i come from hun and well, i know some would say that i am as bad as them for not grassing, I will take that critisism.

Quote Originally Posted by thesoapycauldron View Post
    I am a single Mum to 4 kids and I HATE being on benefits!! Before I was a mum I was an area manager in womens fashion retail, so to sit and not have a job really rubs! It is such a trial to go to the DSS once a month, accounts in hand to show them my turnover, profits (or often losses, but this month, who knows??), but well worth it. They treat you soooo differently once they see that you are serious, and I might even be able to switch to tax credits soon- yippeeeee!!

The NI is voluntary but well worth paying, just in case!

The Soap Dragon xxx
    ooooooh good thread soapy and good for you !! Fingers crossed for you (everything crossed for you - but I will need to go for a pee soon)

I didn't realise you could do this either - I thought that you are either ON benefits and aren't working OR you are working and not claiming any benefits (other than your working tax credits etc..) - there is no middle ground. I think what you are doing makes perfect sense to be honest and should have been implemented years ago !!

I have heard of the Test Trade scheme for new businesses/self employed (where the DSS/New Deal open a bank account for you to put your profits into but you can't touch them for 6 months - during that time you get your benefits as normal + a small percentage of your profit I THINK). After the 6 month period they look at whether it is worth you pursuing your chosen business OR sticking to the benefits you have been claiming and giving up the dream of your own business... now I'm not sure what happens if lets say AFTER the 6 month period DSS/New Deal have decided that it is a viable business to pursue but you aren't making MUCH money at the moment and you still need help with rent etc..would you still get some benefits? I used to work at an advice centre a couple of years - I might give em a ring and find out as this is something people wanting to come off benefits might be interested in. It's been a while since I worked there, so I am a little sketchy at best

Lets face it, you are damned LUCKY if a business takes off in the first 6 months. MOST businesses need at least a year to get going, so the more help the better !!

Absolutely, my company is in the red due to my ex stealing my pc and me having to fork out for a new one (long story, basically the police said it was marital assets, even though I still pay repayments for the damned thing... ack), but with any luck I will be ablet to turn it around- it's looking hopeful!!

Selling the mis-shapes? Excellent idea, I will dig them out (poor daughter will be sad that there are much less bathbombs for her wallowing sessions, bless her. Shes 5!!) I've got a Tea Tree soap that I accidentally coloured yellow somewhere...

I went and had a long chat with the DSS in March and they didn't mention the Test Trade scheme to me, so I don't know if it's still running or not. I'm in there at some point this week so I'll get some more info for you all

The Soap Dragon xxx

Ouch! Bumped my noggin...

The Soap Dragon xxx

Forum Diehard
    All-About mfkirke
    View mfkirke's Listings
    Forum Posts

Advice for new businesses - get some business cards printed - Vistaprint are good and cheap but I'm about to investigate another printer as I find getting exactly what I want on vistaprint hard work with their online editor. I'll report back when I've done it.
    Madelaine

I have two ebid stores. This is for Cats Protection;Lots of beanies, fast food toys, random collectables, some new children's clothes - almost anything really.
    this is business and sells skeleton leaves, Thai silk, various vintage postcards, more random collectables
    Both sell discontinued china tableware.

Hi,

I am too trying to set up a small business online so think this is a great thread.

I still work full time (9-5) and have a 2 year old son so i have to try and get the business off the ground after i have done both of the above.

My website (naughty-n-nice.biz) has been up and running since March and have only had 1 measly sale, i am getting lots of visitors to the site weekly but no sales.

I would be grateful for anyone to take a look and maybe let me have your critisisms on the site and maybe why you think i am getting no sales.

I have just registered with Ebid in the hope it will get things moving.

Any help / advice would be very much appreciated.

I thank you in advance for your time.

Nicola

P.S

My full time job is a benefit office for the local council!! Trust me to join a thread about people fraudulantely claiming benefits.

It too makes me so mad but it is sooo hard to prove.

Thread Information